When you’re spending more time outdoors as the summer winds down, you likely don’t want pests invading your space. Insects are infamous for being uninvited guests to your backyard barbecues, picnics, parties, and more in the summertime here in Knoxville. Pests may be a normal part of outdoor life, but that doesn’t mean you have to deal with them infesting your yard! At Russell’s Pest Control, we are committed to providing our customers with pest-free living both inside and outside the home. Our team of experts has gathered their best tips to help you achieve a pest-free patio and outdoor space.
What Pests Are In Your Backyard?
Insects are out in full force this time of year! Whether you spend time in your backyard on a playset with your children or barbecuing with neighbors, you’ve likely encountered an insect or two. Here in Tennessee, we are home to many types of pests that infest year-round. The most common ones you’ll see this time of year in your yard include mosquitoes, stinging insects (bees, wasps, and hornets), ants, spiders, ticks, fleas, and flies. Out of these nuisance pests, it’s important to be especially wary of mosquitoes and ticks, both of which can transmit diseases to humans.
How to Get a Pest-Free Patio
There are endless tips to keep pests out of your home, but what about out of your yard? It’s best to know how to make your yard less attractive to pests and insects in general. Russell’s best tips are to:
- Get rid of standing water. Stagnant water is one of the biggest attractants for mosquitoes.
- Keep your lawn and shrubs trimmed. Ticks and mosquitoes will shelter in overgrown vegetation or tall grass.
- Be on the lookout for ant hills. Even a tiny mound can contain thousands of ants inside.
- Inspect all wood structures. Wood-destroying pests (carpenter ants and termites) will damage your wooden decks or porches.
- Use an insect repellent. Most store-bought repellent containing DEET will help repel mosquitoes and ticks.
- Clean your patio or space regularly. Spills or leftover food will surely bring ants around.
Preventing Pests Outdoors
Pests aren’t just dangerous to your family—some can be dangerous for the structure of your home, as well! For this reason, it’s best to enlist the help of a professional exterminator for protecting your property (inside and out) from pests. The residential exterminators at Russell’s can help. Contact us today!