Knoxville is a beautiful place in which to live. Unfortunately, our warm temperatures can drive unwanted pests into our homes. As we enter spring, ant populations will be on the rise, busying themselves with food gathering and growing their colonies. We can expect ants to be busy from April through late fall in TN. Fortunately, there are strategies you can employ to help keep ant populations down on your property and keep them out of your home.
Here are five ant-prevention tips for Knoxville residents this summer:
- Remove trash from your home frequently and keep outdoor trash in containers with tight-fitting lids. Ants are always on the hunt for food and your trash is one of their favorite places for them to find it.
- Seal up your home the best you can. This includes installing or fixing screens in all windows and doors, using sweeps or guards under your doors including garage doors, and making sure that all openings and vents are sealed or covered properly.
- Take care of your yard and landscaping. Keeping grass trimmed short, pruning landscaping, removing dead vegetation, and providing proper drainage around gardens can reduce the attractiveness of your property to pests.
- Store food properly. Clean up spills and crumbs quickly. Only put pet food down when pets are eating and remove leftovers promptly. Keep your pantry goods in sealed air-tight plastic containers.
- Reduce water around your home. This includes making sure that gutters are draining properly, hoses and spigots are not leaking, sprinkler systems are used only when needed (and have no leaks), and drainage is effective around your foundation.
Even when following these recommended steps, it is still possible to have an ant problem in or around your Knoxville home. Ants are small and resourceful and hard to contain. The best way to completely eliminate an ant problem is with a year-round pest-control service plan from Russell’s Pest Control. With over 45 years of pest service experience, we have the expertise to keep your home free from ants and other pests. We guarantee it. Contact us today to set up a home inspection and to choose a plan that is right for you and your family. We’d be happy to partner with you to keep your home pest free.
5 Tips For Knoxville Residents To Keep Spring Ants Out Of The Home in Knoxville TN
Serving East Tennessee since 1971