How Do You Keep Mosquitoes Away Naturally?
A quick search online will show you tons of tips and tricks that are meant to help keep mosquitoes away. But which of these actually work well? In general, the following strategies are the best methods of natural mosquito prevention:
- Get rid of or cover standing water around your property.
- Use fans outdoors.
- Wear light colors and long sleeves.
- Use essential oils like peppermint, lemon eucalyptus, and lavender.
Natural Mosquito Prevention Strategies
The best way to naturally prevent mosquitoes is to limit the things in your outdoor spaces that can attract them. You can go about this first by removing or covering any sources of standing water on your property. Still water collects in playsets, buckets, gutters, tarps, planters, and more places. Make sure to inspect your yard for new standing water sources regularly. Additionally, mosquitoes hate the wind, as they are very weak fliers. Turning on a fan while you’re outdoors can help to block mosquitoes from where you are hanging out.
Do You Have a Mosquito Problem? We Can Help.
Click the button below to leave your information & we'll be in touch in an hour or less.
Mosquito Repellents You Can Make at Home
Essential oils can help in a lot of different ways, but can they be used as natural mosquito repellents? Keep in mind that you should always dilute your essential oils with carrier oils and perform skin patch tests to avoid bad reactions. Here are a few things to know about popular mosquito home remedies:
- Lemon eucalyptus oil. This oil has been classified as a natural mosquito repellent by the CDC and the EPA but has not been approved for use on children younger than three years old.
- Peppermint oil. When mixed with olive or canola oil as a carrier oil, peppermint oil can function as a natural mosquito repellent.
- Catnip oil: This oil is derived from catnip via steam distillation. It is EPA-approved and said to be able to provide seven hours of mosquito protection at its best.
- Lavender oil: Lavender oil works to prevent mosquitoes through its strong and persistent fragrance.
Do Coconut Oil and Vitamin B Repel Mosquitoes?
Despite some people’s claims that taking vitamin B will help you build up a natural resistance to being bitten by mosquitoes, studies have shown that it actually has no effect. Similar studies have been conducted with coconut oil as the subject, and while it was found to be ineffective on its own, topical coconut oil applications mixed with essential oils can help to repel mosquitoes. In any case, talk to a medical professional before using any homemade mosquito remedies.
How Do You Keep Mosquitoes Away Naturally? in Knoxville TN
Serving East Tennessee since 1971