Having cockroaches in your home can be an unendingly frustrating experience. What’s even more frustrating is not being able to tell where they’re coming from. To top it all off, if you let them hang around for too long, you put yourself and your family at the risk of exposure to many different diseases—salmonella, typhoid fever, and dysentery are just a few. To avoid being subjected to the burden of an infestation and the possibility of common cockroach diseases, you have to understand more about the pests and what you can do to prevent them in Knoxville TN. Learn all about cockroach prevention with Russell’s Pest Control below!
Why Do I Have Cockroaches?
Cockroaches are not picky creatures—they are only looking for a bit of food, a source of water, and a place to hide. You can keep your home squeaky clean for the most part, but cockroaches can find and pick on certain weaknesses, eventually deciding to move in. Here are a few causes that could be contributing to your cockroach infestation:
- Dirty dishes, counters, and floors that may have accumulated food crumbs and residue.
- Areas with high levels of moisture such as bathrooms and kitchens.
- Uncovered garbage cans and recycling bins.
- Excess yard waste or overflowing compost bins.
- Dark, cluttered areas that provide shelter for the cockroaches’ growing family.
How to Get Rid of Cockroach Infestations
Cockroach infestations can be quite difficult to deal with once they’ve already established a breeding population on your property. The best way to avoid dealing with this is taking preventative measures before an outbreak starts. Here are some ways you can prevent roaches on your property:
- Wash and dry your dishes thoroughly after meals. Clean counters and sweep floors often to prevent food debris from piling up.
- Reduce moisture in your home by running a dehumidifier in problem spaces. Also, check around your plumbing fixtures and gutters often for cracks and moisture buildup.
- Keep all garbage bins and recycling cans sealed shut and properly emptied. Compost piles should be turned over often or kept in their own separate bins.
- Organize and declutter your home. The fewer places cockroaches have to hide, the less interested they’ll be in staying.
Not all cockroaches will be deterred by these preventative efforts, though. It takes a trained and experienced eye to discover the source of some cockroach infestations.
Get Rid of Roaches with Professional Help
Are you struggling to find the source of your cockroaches and wondering how to get rid of them quickly? Reach out to your local pest control company for help. The cockroach exterminators at Russell’s Pest Control have years of experience upending the roots of roach outbreaks, safely removing roaches in homes and businesses, and helping our customers prevent future infestations with advice and preventative maintenance. For a free quote or to learn more about how our team can keep you roach-free, contact us today!
What Is Attracting Cockroaches To My Home? in Knoxville TN
Serving East Tennessee since 1971