Have you recently noticed that there are way more spiders in your house than usual? Here in Knoxville TN, this is not an uncommon problem. A sudden influx of spiders may mean a number of things, so it’s important to take a few different steps to remove the spiders and ensure that they don’t come back.
What Attracts Spiders?
If you don’t know how to get rid of spiders in your house, the best course of action is to learn the reasons that they’re there in the first place. Different species of spiders vary in their preferred habitats, so you have to look out for multiple environments that your house could be providing. There are several factors that might be leading spiders into your home right now:
- Moisture: Some spiders are attracted to areas with high humidity or moisture. This leads them to damper parts of our home like crawl spaces and basements, from which they can find their way into our common areas. Tennessee is about average when compared to other states’ humidity rates, so we see this problem on occasion.
- Aridity: On the flip side, certain spiders prefer dry areas such as attics, vents, and the high corners of our walls. We just can’t catch a break!
- Uncleanliness: Amidst clutter, spiders can easily find shelter. They also love dusty areas for their ability to attract insects. A messy home could lead to free food and housing for a whole host of spiders.
Need a Spider Control Estimate?
We'll call you! Leave your information below.
How to Get Rid of Spiders Inside Your House
Before turning to pesticides or professional pest control help, you can start preventing spiders in your house by keeping up a consistent cleaning routine. Sweep or vacuum often, and use a broom to eliminate any collections of dust in hard to reach places.
You should also check your doors, windows, and walls to make sure there aren’t any gaps that small spiders could be slipping through. Examine the inside and outside of your house, because spiders could be gathering in piles of yard waste near easy entry points. Clearing debris around your property minimizes the amount of places that spiders and other insects can find shelter.
How to Get Rid of Spiders Naturally
Sometimes, these preventative measures aren’t enough, and you need to go the extra mile to make sure the spiders stay out for good. Here are three ways to prevent spiders without using harmful pesticides:
- Fill a spray bottle with an even mixture of water and white vinegar, and spray it in areas that you’ve found spiders or that may be susceptible to spiders.
- Make use of citrus as a repellent. Spiders hate citrus smells, so this could mean rubbing citrus peels on cracks and window sills, using citrus-scented cleaning supplies, or even just keeping some oranges or lemons in the house.
- Place strong-smelling plants inside or outside of your home. Being sensitive to odors, spiders will generally avoid mint, lavender, eucalyptus, and other particularly pungent plants.
Spider Exterminators in Knoxville TN
If you feel like you’ve tried everything to no avail, you can trust your local pest control company to assess your problem and remove your spiders. At Russell’s Pest Control, we take pride in the ability of our spider extermination experts to tackle any infestation. Contact us today for a free quote!Back to Spider Exterminators – Control – Removal
How to Get Rid of Spiders in Knoxville TN
Serving East Tennessee since 1971