One of the upsides to the colder winter months here in Knoxville is the disappearance of mosquitoes. Unfortunately, they’ll be back to bug us again soon, and we’ll be in for several months of prime mosquito season. You can stop mosquito problems in your yard before they start by hiring our experts at Russell’s Pest Control – we know these pests and their tendencies inside and out.
The Dangers of Mosquitoes
Mosquitoes can be quite a nuisance when you are trying to enjoy outdoor gatherings with family and friends. Beyond all the buzzing and biting, some species of mosquitoes are capable of transmitting dangerous diseases to their human hosts. Some notable examples are:
- Zika virus
- West Nile virus
- Chikungunya virus, and more
Fortunately for us, the majority of mosquito-borne diseases are spread in areas with tropical or subtropical climates. This doesn’t exempt us from the potential of contracting an illness, however, so if you are experiencing severe headaches, nausea, muscle spasms, or stiffness that you think might be related to a recent mosquito bite, seek medical attention immediately.
Preventing a Mosquito Infestation
You can find some fairly simple mosquito prevention tips online, but most of them don’t tackle the issue at its root. We advise that you take these tips into account when preparing yourself for mosquito season:
- Most importantly, aim to eliminate or at least reduce the amount of standing water in your yard by turning over tools, toys, buckets, glasses, and other items that collect rainwater. Any amount of standing water serves as a perfect breeding ground for mosquitoes.
- Apply insect repellent before going outdoors. This is the best way to protect your exposed skin, but wearing long-sleeved shirts and pants with lighter colors will also prevent mosquito bites.
- Learn about mosquitoes’ habits. They tend to gather around water sources big and small, and they’re most active at dusk and dawn.
- Some people suggest using citronella candles to repel mosquitoes, but they are fairly ineffective, and their fumes are potentially harmful when inhaled.
The #1 mosquito prevention tip, of course, is to contact a professional pest control service that has experience with effective mosquito reduction and control.
Planning Ahead for Mosquito Season
The time to start thinking about mosquito control on your property is now, and Russell’s Pest Control is ready to help in the Eastern Tennessee area. On your initial treatment, our trained technicians will come out and inspect your yard for mosquito hot spots, including an examination of plant life around your home and any other potential breeding sites. We will then assign a specialist to return every month from April to September to maintain the area. Then you can finally relax in a yard that mosquitoes will steer clear of. Contact our team today!
It’s Time To Think About Mosquito Control In Knoxville in Knoxville TN
Serving East Tennessee since 1971