Here in Knoxville, we are accustomed to seasonal pest problems. Few are more troublesome than boxelder and stink bug infestations. These fall invaders are known as such because they enter homes when temperatures drop to escape the impending winter months. They are of course also known for the foul odor they emit when stepped on or if they feel threatened. Although they aren’t too dangerous, their populations can grow to large numbers, making the very sight of them worrisome.
The real trouble is when boxelder bugs or stink bugs crawl their way into your home. The team at Russell’s is here with information about these fall invaders, including how to keep them away.
Stink Bug & Boxelder Bug Facts
These insects can and will easily make their way inside via any crack or crevice on the outside of your home in the fall and winter. Besides the odor they emit, it’s important to know a few facts about these fall invaders:
- Stink bug
- Their backs look like shields, and they can blend easily within the foliage.
- If threatened, these bugs release an odor.
- There are two main types we see in the states: the brown marmorated stink bug and the green stink bug.
- They do not bite or spread disease.
- Boxelder bug
- These insects have dark brown bodies with unique red markings.
- They emerge out of hibernation in the springtime.
- True to their name, they live in boxelder trees as well as maple, ash, and fruit trees.
- Their feces can leave a stain.
How to Keep Fall Pests Out of Your Home
The key to preventing boxelder bugs & stink bugs this fall is to seal-proof your home. These steps will help prevent all sorts of pests. Inspect the perimeter of your home, focusing on areas around windows and doors. Check the caulk around the molding, seal up cracks around roof soffits and siding, and replace torn screens on doors or windows. It’s also important to clean and repair fences, decorative rocks, woodpiles, patio furniture, and your lawn. Lastly, make sure to trim back vegetation to avoid tree limbs and bushes touching your home.
When to Get an Exterminator for Fall Pests
These insects can get indoors more easily than you may want to believe. If you have an infestation indoors or want to further seal your home off against them, the team at Russell’s can help! Contact our residential exterminators today for more information on our boxelder bug and stink bug control tactics.
Prevent Boxelder Bugs & Stink Bugs This Fall in Knoxville TN
Serving East Tennessee since 1971