‘Tis the season for holiday parties! Family parties, friend parties, school parties, office parties… ..by the end of December, we’re all a little partied out.
Although the holidays are a fun time of year, they can also be pretty exhausting. If we aren’t careful about how we handle the cleanup from all our holiday celebrating, we could move into the new year with a new problem: Cockroaches.
The Problems Cockroaches Cause
Cockroaches would love to attend your after-party and feast on all the goodies that get left behind because you were too tired to deal with them when the party was over. Whether the party took place at your Tennessee business or in your Tennessee home, you do not want cockroaches invading either space.
Cockroaches can create serious problems:
- They’re bad for business. This one seems pretty obvious, but it must be stated. Customers do not want to frequent a business, especially if your business happens to be in the food services sector, if there are cockroaches skittering around the place.
- They can make you sick. Cockroaches hang out in a variety of unpleasant, unsanitary places. Garbage cans, rotting food, sewers… it’s not a nice list. While roaming around these areas, they pick up germs and bacteria that can then be transferred to any other place they travel. If cockroaches crawl around on your countertops and food prep areas, it’s likely they will leave behind germs that could make you very sick. Cockroaches are known to spread pathogens that cause gastroenteritis, E. coli, salmonella, and dysentery, to name just a few.
- Besides the germs they spread around, cockroach feces and the skins they shed have been found to trigger asthma symptoms in some people.
- They bite. While rare, if cockroaches get hungry enough, they may try to feast upon your eyelids while you sleep. If that’s not disturbing enough, consider the fact that, while they crawl on your face, they’re leaving behind all those pathogens they’ve picked up elsewhere.
How to Prevent Cockroaches
It’s important to make your home or business uninviting for cockroaches so they are not attracted to your property.
The following tips may help:
- Clean up after eating. Don’t leave any food out on your counters.
- Clean up spills and messes immediately. This includes cleaning countertops and sweeping or vacuuming floors.
- Put dirty dishes in the dishwasher or wash them by hand immediately after use. Do not leave dishes in the sink to or on the counter.
- Empty trash cans regularly.
Cockroaches often live in moist areas. Repair any leaky or broken pipes immediately. Ensure areas with excess moisture, like bathrooms, kitchens, and basements, have good ventilation. Use dehumidifiers, if necessary.
What to Do if You See Cockroaches in Your Home or Business
If you discover that cockroaches are already present, invite Russell’s Pest Control over for a cockroach elimination party. This party may not be quite as fun as the holiday parties you’ve attended, but you’ll definitely be happy with the results.
Our professionals will evaluate the problem and recommend the best course of action for you to take. Since we provide both residential and commercial pest control programs, we offer something to meet every type of pest control need. Give us a call today to learn more about our pest control programs and which ones will best meet your needs.
Holiday Cockroach Prevention For Tennessee Homes And Businesses in Knoxville TN
Serving East Tennessee since 1971