One of the most common pest problems is a pantry beetle infestation! Far too many people have experienced the horror of digging through their pantries only to discover pests in their dried goods! These pests are known to infest flour, cake mixes, grains, sugar, and more, and it’s easy for them to do so when you don’t store your dry goods properly. Beetle prevention can help prevent these frustrating insects.
Keep reading to learn how to get rid of pantry beetles to keep these pesky insects out of your Knoxville property year-round.
Types of Pantry Beetles in Knoxville
If you come across pantry beetles in your property, it’s best to contact a professional to help you with beetle treatment. There are three main types of pantry beetles to be aware of:
- Weevils: Most distinguishable by their long snouts, weevils are ⅛ – ¼ inch long, have short life spans and are found in nuts, seeds, cereals, and grains.
- Red flour beetles: Shiny and reddish-brown in color, these beetles have distinctive antennae and, true to name, infest flour and cereal products.
- Confused flour beetles: These beetles resemble the red flour beetle except for the antennae, which are four segmented and gradually thickens towards the tip.
Need an Estimate for Pantry Beetle control?
Pantry Beetle Prevention Tips
For pantry beetle prevention throughout the year, there are a number of things you can do:
- Properly store pantry items: Store dry goods and baking ingredients in airtight containers to keep beetles out.
- Use bay leaves: Place a bay leaf inside canisters of dry goods like flour, rice, and other grains to repel pantry beetles.
- Inspect your groceries: At the grocery store, be wary of buying items that appear damaged or used.
- Check for expiration dates: Regularly look through your pantry and toss any expired items.
- Keep a clean kitchen: Promptly clean up spills or messes to avoid attracting beetles. Clean out your pantry on a regular basis.
Effective Pantry Beetle Control
If you’ve done all you can to implement pantry beetle prevention and still end up with an infestation, it’s important to act fast to control the pests. Toss any infested items in a secure trash can outdoors, and thoroughly clean out your shelves. If you’re still dealing with beetles, it’s recommended to call an expert pantry beetle exterminator, such as Russell’s Pest Control, who can recommend the best beetle treatment options. Call us today!Back to Beetle Exterminators – Control – Removal
How to Get Rid of Pantry Beetles in Knoxville TN
Serving East Tennessee since 1971