If you’re preparing for a weekend getaway or a week-long vacation, you have a lot of things on your mind. Bed bugs probably aren’t one of them. Unfortunately, it’s smart to prepare for the reality of possibly getting bed bugs while traveling. In the last decade alone, the number of bed bug infestations tied to traveling has increased exponentially.
Bed bug problems are known to start after returning from a trip. Keep reading for tips from the experts at Russell’s Pest Control on bed bug prevention while traveling.
Why do bed bugs spread through traveling?
You may think that only motels and cheaper hotels experience bed bug problems, but that’s simply not the case. Even the hotels with the highest ratings can suffer from bed bug problems when proper prevention isn’t practiced. People from all over travel in and out of hotels, making pest problems unavoidable at times. One of the best things you can do to prevent bed bugs while traveling is read the hotel reviews to make note of any complaints of bed bugs or other pests before booking!
Need a bed bug control estimate?
We'll call you! Leave your information below.
Top tips for bed bug prevention while traveling
The best ways you can prevent bed bugs while traveling include:
- Properly pack your suitcase.
- Use a suitcase with a hard casing/shell.
- Wrap all clothing and fabric items in plastic bags.
- Inspect the hotel room when you arrive.
- Pull back the bed sheets and look between the mattress and box springs for bed bugs.
- Look for signs of eggs, feces, or skin that has been shed.
- Store your luggage off the ground.
- Always place luggage on suitcase racks or on top of dressers.
- Be cautious when unpacking.
- Wash and dry all of your clothing in a hot water wash after your trip.
- Thoroughly vacuum or steam-clean your suitcase before you store it.
How to prevent bed bugs after a trip
You’ve taken every precaution to prevent bed bugs while traveling…but you’ve still managed to bring them home with you. Now what? As soon as you notice bed bugs in your Knoxville home, it’s important to enlist the help of a bed bug exterminator. The experts at Russell’s Pest Control have the decades of experience needed to thoroughly inspect and treat your home for bed bugs. For more information on bed bug prevention while traveling, call us today!Back to Bed Bug Exterminators – Control – Removal
Prevent Bed Bugs While Traveling in Knoxville TN
Serving East Tennessee since 1971