How to Prevent Mosquitoes in Your Yard
Mosquitoes are attracted to places that they can use as breeding grounds in your backyard. In order to breed, mosquitoes need to find a source of standing water. This means that preventing mosquitoes in your yard goes hand in hand with limiting the number of mosquito breeding sites around your property. This includes:
- Pouring out standing water sources
- Covering spas, birdbaths, and pools
- Installing door and window screen
- Using fans when outsides
- Hiring professional mosquito control
Why Are All These Mosquitoes in My Backyard?
Certain regions and climates are more prone to mosquito problems. If you live somewhere with a humid climate during the summer, you will certainly be dealing with mosquitoes for months. Also, heavily wooded regions experience more mosquito activity. No matter where you live, mosquitoes will invade your backyard if the weather is adequate and there is somewhere to breed.
Do You Have a Mosquito Problem? We Can Help.
Click the button below to leave your information & we'll be in touch in an hour or less.
6 Mosquito Prevention Methods in Knoxville
Here are some of the best ways to keep mosquitoes away from your yard:
- Eliminate standing water. Get rid of still water in tarps, flowerpots, buckets, and more. Standing water makes for mosquito breeding sites.
- Consider fish or agitators for ponds. Some kinds of fish will eat mosquito larvae. Another solution would be to add an agitator to stop mosquitoes from laying eggs there.
- Use window and door screens. Installing door and window screens can allow you to get fresh air without mosquitoes coming in.
- Keep your yard clean. Regularly cut your lawn and maintain your garden to prevent mosquito hiding places and breeding grounds.
- Install fans outside. Mosquitoes struggle in the wind. Using fans outside can block them from getting near you.
- Conduct regular inspections. Always be on the lookout for potential mosquito breeding grounds. You might consider looking into local options for professional mosquito control.
How Does Professional Treatment Prevent Mosquitoes?
If these mosquito prevention tips do not work to keep mosquitoes out of your yard, you should reach out to your local mosquito exterminators. The technicians at Russell’s Pest Control will work with you to determine the right repellents and exclusion plans for your yard.
How To Prevent Mosquitoes In Your Yard in Knoxville TN
Serving East Tennessee since 1971
Knoxville | Lenoir City | Sevierville | Loudon | Chattanooga | Kingsport | Jefferson City | Morristown | Newport | Maryville | Pigeon Forge | Gatlinburg | Oak Ridge | Cleveland | Dayton | Crossville | Athens
Knox County | Blount County | Loudon County | Roane County | Anderson County | Jefferson County | Bradley County | Monroe County | Hamilton County | Campbell County
It’s National Pest Management Month and barely the start of pest season here in Knoxville. In the coming months as the weather heats up, homeowners are bound to be faced with pest problems of all kinds. One of the most concerning pests we deal with this time of year is mosquitoes! Everyone has had an outdoor barbecue or picnic ruined by these pesky insects before, which is why it’s important to prevent them in the first place.
In this blog post, the experts at Russell’s Pest Control share their top tips to make your yard less appealing for the onslaught of mosquitoes in the months ahead.
5 Tips to Prevent Mosquitoes
Mosquitoes are certainly a nuisance, but they can be dangerous, too! Unfortunately, they tend to be a fact of life here in Tennessee. It’s important to know how to protect you and your family from infestations this summer. Some of the ways you can make your property less attractive to mosquitoes include:
- Get rid of standing water. Remove standing water from flower pots,bird baths, tarps, and more to eliminate mosquito breeding hotspots.
- Place screens on windows and doors. Installing screens can keep mosquitoes from getting indoors every time you so much as open a window or door!
- Get fish for your pond and agitate the water. Certain types of fish will feed on mosquito larvae. Additionally, adding an agitator will keep mosquitoes from laying eggs in the water.
- Keep your yard tidy and trimmed. Regularly maintain your garden and lawn to keep the grass short. Trim plants and bushes back to prevent mosquito resting spots.
- Install ceiling or tower fans. Mosquitoes hate wind and are not strong fliers. Use fans to help force them away from your outdoor spaces!
How to Protect Your Family From Mosquitoes
With the summer months right around the corner, many of us have plans to go camping or attend outdoor events. When you’re away from home, it’s crucial to know how to protect yourself from mosquito bites. To avoid getting bitten, follow the below tips:
- Avoid going outdoors at dusk and dawn, which is when mosquitoes are most active.
- Try to stay away from swampy areas or spots with standing water.
- Wear light-colored, long-sleeved shirts and pants.
- Following the manufacturer’s instructions, apply an EPA-registered insect repellent.
Mosquito Prevention and Control
No one wants to deal with mosquitoes every time they leave their home. If you’ve done all you can to prevent mosquitoes in your property and still have problems, it’s best to call your local mosquito exterminators. Here at Russell’s, we will work with you to customize a mosquito control plan suited to the unique needs of your home!
How to Prevent Mosquitoes in Your Yard in Knoxville TN
Serving East Tennessee since 1971